Tuesday 14 September 2021

Day 1. (or approx 548 if we're counting since i actually *started* the project)

 I've got a relatively long day at my disposal today - 9.30 till 5 - because my kids do after school club on tuesdays. Mondays are short - 9.30 till 3 - and wednesdays to fridays are long, because my ex picks the kids up on those days at the moment. In theory its a pretty good weekly schedule for writing, because i've got a short day on monday to ease myself back into thinking after a weekend of pritsticking and wiping things, and the days gradually get longer till by the end of the week i can go on full on crazed-immersion and pull all nighters, just in time to be a weird starey robot for my kids on saturday.

In practice, of course, there are all manner of obstacles in the path of extended concentration. This week is EPSA, the meeting of the European Philosophy of Science Association, in Turin. I'm not presenting, but since i'm on the steering committee i will definitely attend some talks and meetings, virtually.  I also have a deadline coming up on a paper i'm supposed to referee. And next week i'm presenting (virtually) at a meeting in Paris. Happily, there is some overlap between the topic of those two.

So, the plan for today is to write my referee's report (i already read the paper yesterday - i like to sleep on it before i write my report, if i can), read a second  paper on a similar topic, and then start assembling some thoughts that will double as (i) content for my talk next week and (ii) the basis for chapter 7 of my book - on metaphysical problems associated with biological individuality.

Ok, go!

No comments: